Translate

Thursday, 19 October 2017

Maltese galley Santa Caterina 1541

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in April 1541 with as commanding officer Ponce de Balaguer.

Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley Santa Petronilla 1541

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in April 1541 with as commanding officer Louis du Pont.

Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley Santa Croce 1541

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in April 1541 with as commanding officer Francesco de Azevedo.

Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley San Giovanni 1539

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.
Mentioned (date commissioned?) in 1539 with as commanding officer Antonio Turcetto.

Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley Santa Caterina 1542

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in August 1542 with as commanding officer Giovanni de Barrientos.

Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley Santa Maria Maddalena 1545

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in July 1545 with as commanding officer Francesco Beccuti.

Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley San Giovanni 1545

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in July 1545 with as commanding officer Pasqual du Broc.


Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley Santa Petronilla 1545

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in July 1545 with as commanding officer Girolamo de Guete/


Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley San Giovanni 1505

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in March 1550 with as commanding officer Francesco de Gozon Melacc.

Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley Santa Croce 1539


Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in 1539 with as commanding officer Ponce de Balaguer.

Source

Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley Santa Caterina 1537

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in July 1537 with as commanding officer Gaspard de Villiers.

Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595. 

Maltese galley Santa Croce 1537

Owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem. Mentioned (date commissioned?) in July 1537 with as commanding officer Pietro de Noè.

Source
Ubaldino Mori Ubaldini. La Marine del Sovrano Militare Ordino de San Giovannni di Gerusalemme di Radi e di Malta. Romo, 1971, p. 566-595.

Wednesday, 18 October 2017

Germany-flagged trawler (ex-Cornelis Maria 1983-2004) Jacob Grietje (ST-27) 2004-

Inner harbour Den Helder, Netherlands 23 May 2017

Germany-flagged, homeport Tönning, IMO 8304543, MMSI 211411630 and call sign DJMA. Ex-Cornelis Maria (TX49)renamed July 2004. Built by Scheepswerf Haak, Zaandam, Netherlands in 1983. 

Dutch research-survey vessel Kennemer 1995-

Inner harbour Den Helder, Netherlands 23 May 2017

Netherlands-flagged, IMO 9104732, MMSI 246322000 and call sign PBZQ. Built by Damen Shipyard Bergum, Bergum, Netherlands in 1995. Owned and managed by Rijkswaterstaat Noord-Holland. 

Dutch fishery research vessel Isis 1983-

Inner harbour Den Helder, Netherlands 23 May 2017

Netherlands-flagged, IMO 8318180, MMSI 244767000, registration number 2524 and call sign PBXD. Built by Damen Shipyard Hardinxveld, Hardinxveld-Giessendam, Netherlands in 1983. Owned and managed by Department of Agriculture and Fishery, The Hague, Netherlands. 

British battleship HMS Nelson temporarily grounded according to the Dutch newspaper Nieuwe Tilburgsche Courant dated 16 May 1934


An item reported that the British battleship Nelson which grounded in January at Portsmouth, England now grounded at Portland although this time was she refloated 45 minutes. (1)

Note
1. Sister ship Rodney. Pennant 28. A simplified design of the N-3 battleships which was cancelled by the British Royal navy as a result of the Washing Naval Treaty of 1922. She was to able to compete with the USS Colorado and the Japanese Nagato battleship classes. Her building was ordered in 1922, laid down on 28 December at Armstrong-Whitworth, Newcastle launched on 3 September 1925, commissioned on 15 August 1927, 1941-1942 extensively repairs needed as a result of an Italian torpedo, decommissioned in February 1948 and on 15 March a year begun her breaking up. 

Typhus broken out on board of British aircraft carrier HMS Furious according to the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Handelsblad dated Saturday 20 January 1934


An item dated Gibraltar 20th reported that the British aircraft carrier Furious which left on the Wesdnesday before towards Malta returned when discovered was that several crewmembers had typhus fever. The ship was now under quarantine and the such men would be brought to the military hospital on land.(1)

Note
1. Originally a very lightly armoured and armed battle cruiser of a modified Courageous-design especially built to support the so-called Baltic Project of admiral Lord Fisher which was an invasion on the German coast of Pomerania, She was to support the landing. Laid down at the shipyard of Armstrong Whitworth, Wallsend, England on 8 June 1915, launched on 15 August 1916, commissioned on 26 June 1917, trials on 2 August 1917, first landing of an aircraft on a moving ship on 2 August 1917, returned to the dockyard for removal of her aft turret and instead fitting her out with a landing deck and 2 lifts for the hangars, decommissioned on 15 March 1918, laid up, converted into an aircraft carrier fitted out with a continuous flight deck of 175,6 x 28 metres between June 1921-September 1925, between 1 July 1930 and February 1932 again modernized, decommissioned in May 1932, deck landing training carrier since 1937, resevce since 15 September 1944, paid off and berthed at Loch Striven in April 1945 and finally sold to be broken up in 1948, which was completed at. Troon, Scotland in 1954. Pennant number 47. Nicknamed Spurious.

French aviso Savorgnan de Brazza visited the Dutch East Indies in 1935

An item reported that the French aviso Savorgnan de Brazza visited the Dutch East Indies harbours Batavia between 7-12 November 1935, Surabaya between 14-18 November 1935, Laboean Amoek between 19-22 November 1935 and Larantoeka between 24-26 November 1935.(1)

Note
1. Of the Bougainville-class, laid down by At,&Ch, Maritime Sud-Ouest, Bordeaux, France on 6 December 1929, launched on 18 June 1931, commissioned on 21 February 1933 and broken up on 20 March 1957. Especially built to serve in the Asian and African colonies.

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1935-1936. 

Japanese navy tanker Ondo visited Tarakan, Dutch East Indies in 1935

An item reported that the Japanese navy tanker Ondo visited Tarakan, Dutch East Indies between 5-7 October 1935.(1)

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1935-1936. 

Note
1. Japanese navy tanker of the Ondo-class, laid down by Kawasaki-Kobe Shipyard, Japan on 15 March 1922, launched on 21 October 1922, completed on 12 March 1923 and sunk during an air attack in the Manila Bay, Philippines on 13 November 1944. 

French aviso Dumont d‘Urville visited the Dutch East Indies in 1935

An item reported that the French aviso Dumont d‘Urville visited the Dutch East Indies harbour Sabang 29-31 July 1935.(1)

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1934-1935. 

Note
1. Bougainville-class sloop, launched by Atelier et Chantiers Maritime Sud-Ouest, Bordeaux, France on 21 March 1931 and broken up on 26 March 1958. 

Venetian galley Galera in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Nicolo Traga Piera.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Bandera in 1572 Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Felipe Lione. Source Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180.

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Felipe Lione.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Falcón in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Nicolo Lipomani.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Galera in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Marco Antonio Quirini.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Aguila in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Theodoro Payale.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Tuesday, 17 October 2017

Dutch inland tug (ex-Jan Buzink 1929-1945, G.B. VIII 1945-1947, Cornelia I 1947-1963, Gerja 1963-1989m Eemshorn-B 1989-2008) Eemshorn 2008-


Inner harbour, Den Helder, 23 Netherlands May 2017

Netherlands-flagged, ENI 2304703, MMSI 244710354 and call sign PH2390. Dimensions 17,97 x 4,90 x 2,09cm and tonnage 12 tons. Machinery consisted of a 155hp Krupp engine later replaced by a 365hp Caterpillar. Ex-Jan Buzink of C.J. Buzink, Waspik, Netherlands, as G,B. VIII since 1945 of the Koninklijke Marechaussee Grensbewaking, Rotterdam, Netherlands and by same owner renamed in 1947 Cornelia I, renamed Gerja in 1963 by J. Brink, Groningen, Netherlands, renamed Eemshorn-B in 1989 by H.J. Postma&L.A. Logeman (Eemshorn Berging), Enkhuizen, Netherlands and renamed Eemshorn in 2008 by J. Krul, Slootdorp, Netherlands. Built by De Hoop, Hardinxveld, Netherlands in 1929. 

Danish fishing vessel Enhiørningen (E95) 1966-


Inner harbour, Den Helder, 23 Netherlands May 2017

Denmark-flagged, homeport Esbjerg, MMSI 220067000, EU number DNK000007542 and call sign OZTQ. Built in 1966 by Lemvig Scheepswerf I/S. In service since 1967. 

Dutch light cruiser Hr.Ms. Tromp 1936-1968

Dutch magazine Onze Vloot dated May 1936, front page , drawing by Th.J. Verheij

Dutch magazine Onze Vloot dated November 1935, p. 148, drawing by Adriaan van Sorge


Alexander van Maanen

Laid down at the yard of the N.V. Scheepsbouwmaatschappij at Amsterdam on 17 January 1936 with building number 240, launched on 24 May 1937, commissioned on 18 August 1938, stricken on 20 December 1968 and sold to be broken up. Her pennants were D 28, KL2, C 804 and at the end of her career A 878 when she served as an accommodation ship. Built according to the Vlootplan Deckers Naval shipbuilding program of Deckers) and called flotilla leader to prevent political discussion when called cruiser.

With a displacement of 3,450-4,025 tons full load were her dimensions 131,95 x 12,43 x 4,32 metres. The 2 Parsons turbines and 4 Yarrow boilers supplied 56,000 ahp driving 2 screws allowing a speed of 32,5 knots. Her crew numbered 298 men later increased to 380 men. The original armament consisted of 3x2-15cm guns, 2x2-40mm machine guns, 1x2-12,7mm machine guns and 2x3-53,cm torpedo tubes and a float plane. The armour consisted of a 15mm belt (amidships), 15 and 25mm decks, 20 and 30mm bulkheads while the turrets were protected by 12-25mm.

Her sister ship was the Jacob van Heemskerck which was just prepared for her trials when the German forces invaded the Netherlands. She managed to escape to England  and was there fitted out as an air defence cruiser.

Venetian galley Mujer in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Paulo Nani.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Caballo Sierpe in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Antonio Canale.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Palma in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Lucas Chiatuech.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Cristo Resucitado in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Antonio Pasqualigo.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Fortuna in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Hierónimo Cornell.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Dutch monitor 2nd class Zr. Ms. Krokodil 1867-1906

Den Helder, Netherlands in 1871. 
Foto Rijksmusem Amsterdam, Netherlands. Original linh

Laid down at Laird, Birkenhead, England, Netherlands on 3 July 1867, launched on 7 January 1868, trial on 30 May 1868, modernized including fitting out with a metal superstructure in 1884, conning tower fitted out with a steel roof in 1890, commissioned on 16 March 1900, stricken and sold to J.G. van der Linden, Woerden, Netherlands on 1906. Costs when first fitted out for sea ƒ 765.115,00.

Displacement 1.530 tons and as dimensions 54,00 (loadline between perpendiculars)-56,60 (over all without rudder) x 13,33 (outside armour)-3,06-4,08 (hold) x 2,85 (maximum loaded fore)-2,95 (maximum loaded aft) metres. The machinery consisted of 2-2cylinder engines. Two 4-bladed screws, Horsepower 140hp and in the beginning also fitted out with small sail rigging. Maximum speed 9 miles and a coal bunker capacity of 150 tons. Armour consisted of a 11,4-14cm thick belt, a 1,9-2,5cm thick deck and with the gun turrets and conning tower protected by respectively 20,3-28cm and 14cm. Call sign GQMD. The armament consisted originally of 2-23cm Armstrong rifled guns replaced in 1884 by 1-28cm Krupp rifled gun, 1-7,5cm Krupp gun, 2-3,7cm guns and 2-3,7cm revolvers. Crew numbered 75 men. 

British heavy cruiser HMS Cumberland 57) 1924-1959

Drawing by G.J.F. Naerebout in Van Zee tot Zee

Part of the County-class heavy cruisers Kent sub class consisting of the Berwick, Kent, Cumberland, Cornwall and Suffolk of the British Royal Navy and the Australia and Canberra of the Royal Australian Navy, preceded by the Hawkins-class and succeeded by the York-class. Laid down by Vickers-Armstrong, Barrow in Furness, England on 18 October 1924, launched on 16 March 1926, commissioned on 23 February 1928, decommissioned in 1946, refitted, rearmed and converted into a gunnery trials ship at Devonport, England between 1949-1951, recommissioned in 1951 and sold to be broken up in 1959.

Displacement 9.750 (standard)-13.450 (full load) tons and as dimensions 190 x 20,80 x 4,95 metres or 630 x 68.3 x 16,3 feet. The machinery consisted of 4 Brown Curtis geared turbines and 8 Admiralty 3-drum boilers supplying 80.000 shp allowing a speed of 31.5 knots. With a fuel oil bunker capacity of .3,450 tons was with a speed of 12 knots respectively 31,5 knots the range 13.300 and 3.100 nautical miles. Crew numbered 6790710 (when serving as flagship) men. The armour consisted originally of a 1.375” thick deck, 4.5” thick belt, magazine box protected by 1-4” and after 1940 4 internal boiler room sides. The original armament consisted of 4x2-20,3cm/8  guns, 4x1-10,2cm/4” anti aircraft guns, 2x4-4cm/2pd pom poms, 2x4-0.5” machineguns , 2x4-53,3cm/21” torpedo tubes and 2 aircraft for which until 1942 a catapult was available. 

Japanese navy tanker Sunosaki visited Tarakan, Dutch East Indies in 1935-1936

An item reported that the Japanese navy tanker Sunosaki visited the Dutch East Indies harbour Tarakan between 30 October-2 November 1935 and 23-27 January 1936.(1)

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1935-1936.

Note
1. Dimensions 121,9 (between perpendiculars) x 15,2 x 7,0 metres and a displacement of 8.800 (standard)-9.800 (normal) tons. The engine and 6 boilers supplied 6.000 ihp allowing a speed of 14 knots. Oil bunker capacity 2.000 tons and coal bunker capacity 800 tons. Armament consisted of 2-12m 45 cal guns and 2-8cm anti aircraft guns. Laid down at the Yokosuka navy shipyard on 28 November 1917, launched on 22 June 1918, completed on 28 September 1918 and finally broken up in 1942. 

British HMS sloop Wellington visited the Dutch East Indies in 1935

Thames, London, England 2008

An item reported that the British HMS sloop Wellington visited the Dutch East Indies harbours Tandjong Priok between 9-11 April 1935 and Benoa between 14-16 April 1935.(1)

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1934-1935. 

Note
1. Grimsby-class sloop, building ordered on 1 May 1933, laid down at Nay Yard Devonport, England on 25 September 1933, launched on 29 May 1934, commissioned on 24 January 1935, stricken in 1947, into a floating livery hall and still existing. 

British drill and training ship HMS Laburnum visited the Dutch East Indies in 1935

An item reported that the British drill and training ship Laburnum visited the Dutch East Indies harbours Boeleleng between 21-24 March 1935 and Surabaya between 25-27 March 1935.(1)

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1934-1935. 

Note
1. Acacia-class sloop, laid down by Charles Connell and Company, Scotstoun, Scotland in February 1915, launched on 10 June 1915, completed in August 1915, handed over to New Zealand on 11 March 1922, since 11 February 1935 drill and training ship for the Strait Settlements Naval Volunteer Reserve, scuttled at Singapore on 15 February 1942, salvaged around 1946, later scuttled to be used as part of an artificial breakwater but again salvaged and broken up in 1967. 

British warships HMS Kent and Falmouth visited the Dutch East Indies harbour Belawan Deli in March 1935

An item reported that the British cruiser HMS Kent (1) and sloop Falmouth visited the Dutch East Indies harbour Belawan Deli between 2-5 March 1935.

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1934-1935. 

Notes
1. County-class heavy cruiser. Laid down by Chatham Dockyard, England on 15 November 1924, launched on 16 March 1926, commissioned on 25 June 1924 and sold to be broken up on 22 January 1948.
2. Shoreham-class sloop, launched on 19 April 1932, renamed as drill ship HMS Calliope in January 1952 and broken up in 1968. 

French sloop Amiral Charner visited the Dutch East Indies in 1935

An item reported that the French sloop Amiral Charner visited the Dutch East Indies harbours Ambon between 28 September-2 October 1935, Ternate between 3-5 October 1935, Menado between 6-10 October 1935 and Tarakan between 11-13 October 1935. (1)

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1934-1935. 

Note
1. Bougainville-class sloop, launched by AC Maritime de Sud-Ouest, Bordeaux, France on 1 October 1932 and scuttled on 10 March 1945. 

Monday, 16 October 2017

American aircraft carrier USS Intrepid 1941-





New York, USA 2 October 2017

Laid down as part of the Essex-class aircraft carriers by Newport New Shipbuilding, Virginia, USA on 1 December 1941, launched on 26 April 1943, commissioned on 16 August 1943, reclassified as attack carrier (VCA-11) on 1 October 1952, reclassified as anti submarine warfare carrier (CVS-11) on 8 December 1962, decommissioned on 15 March 1974, stricken on 23 February 1982 and nowadays museum ship [Intrepid Sea, Air&Space Museum] at New York, USA. Nicknames Fighting I and Dry I.

Original technical specifications.
Displacement 27.100 (standard)-36.380 (full load) tons and as dimension 250 (waterline)-266 (overall) x 28 (waterline)-45 (over all) x 8,66 (light)-10,41 (full load) metres or 820-872 x 93-147.6 x 28.5-34.2 feet. Had 3 decks. The designed machinery consisted of 4 Westinghouse geared steam turbines and 8 boilers supplying via the 4 shafts 150.000shp allowing a speed of 33 knots. With a peed of 15 knots was her range 20.000 nautical miles. Crew numbered 2.600 persons. Carried with her 90-100 aircraft for which 1 deck-edge elevator and 2 centerline elevators were available. The armour consisted of a 6cm/2.5”-10cm/4” thick belt, 10cm/4” thick bulkheads while the pilothouse and top steering gear were protected by respectively 4cm/1.5” and 6cm/2.5”. The armament consisted of 4x2&4x1-12,7cm/5” 38 cal guns, 8x4-4cm 56 cal guns, and 46x102cm 78 cal guns. 

Japanese cruisers Iwati and Asama visited Tandjong Priok, Dutch East Indies in 1932

Iwate

Asama

An item reported that the Japanese cruisers Iwati (1) and Asama (2) visited Tandjong Priok, Dutch East Indies between 8-10 April 1932.

Notes
1. Building ordered on 19 July 1898, Part of the Izumo-class armoured cruisers consisting of the Izum0 and Iwate, preceded by the Asama-class and succeeded by the Yakumo. Designed by Sir Philip Watts. Laid down by Armstrong Whitworth&Co., Elswick, England on 11 November 1898, launched on 29 March 1900, completed on 18 March 1901, reclassified 1st class coastal defence ship on 1 September 1921, reclassified 1st class cruiser on 1 July 1942, reclassified training ship in 1943, sunk due to an American air attack at Kure on 25 July 1945, stricken on 30 November 1945 and broken up by Harima Dock Company between 1946-1947.
2. Of the Asama-class armoured cruisers, consisting of the Asama and Tokiwa, succeeded by the Izumo class. Built under the 1896 Naval Expansion Plan. Contract signed not earlier as on 6 July 1897, laid down at Armstrong Whitworth, United Kingdom at own risk on 20 October 1896, launched on 21 March 1898, completed on 18 March 1899, reclassified as a 1st coastal defence ship on 1 September 1921, training ship since 1922, stationary training ship since 5 July 1938, decommissioned on 30 November 1945 and broken up at the Innoshima shipyard, Hitachi Zosen Corporation between 15 August 1946-25 March 1947.

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1931-1932. 

French cruiser Primauguet visited Sabang, Dutch East Indies in 1932


An item reported that the French cruiser Primauguet visited Sabang, Dutch East Indies between 13-15 May 1932.(1)

Note
1. Part of the Duguay-Trouin class light cruisers consisting of the Duguay-Trouin, Laomoot-Picguet and Primauguet, succeeded by the Jeanne d’Arc. Laid down by the Arsenal de Brest, France on 16 August 1923, launched on 21 May 1924, commissioned on 1 April 1927, refitted since 8 November 1941 at Casablanca, Morocco, heavily damaged still lying at Casablanca in a gun battle with the battleship USS Massachusetts and the cruiser USS Wichita resulting in 45 men killed and over the 200 wounded, that night was she burned out despite she was be beached on a reef  was she some days later complete destroyed by the tides.

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1931-1932. 

Australian cruiser HMAS Canberra visited the Dutch East Indies harbours in 1932

Sister ship HMAS Australia

An item reported that the Australian cruiser HMAS Canberra visited the Dutch East Indies harbours Surabaya 22-27 September 1932 and Tandjong Priok 29 September-4 October 1932.(1)

Note
1. County-class Kent sub class heavy cruiser consisting of the Berwick, Cornwall, Cumberland, Kent, Suffolk, Australia and Canberra, preceded by the Hawkins-class and succeeded by the York-class, laid down by John Brown&Company, Clydebank, Scotland with yard number 513 on 9 September 1925, launched on 31 May 1927, commissioned on 9 July 1928, completed on 19 July 1928 and heavily damaged during the battle off Savo Islands against Japanese forces on 9 August 1942 was she to be scuttled.

Source
Jaarboek van de Koninklijke Nederlandsche Zeemacht 1931-1932. 

French anti-aircraft cruiser De Grasse 1939-1974

Drawing by G.J.F. Naerebout in Van Zee tot Zee

Laid down at Arsenal de Orient, Brest, France in 1939, captured still just 28% complete by the German forces in June 1940, conversion into a light aircraft carrier temporarily called II planned in April 1942, conversion ordered on 3 December 1942, conversion however ended in February 1943, launched on 11 September 1946, works topped and redesigned as anti-aircraft cruiser, commissioned on 10 September 1956, modernized May 1964-February 1966, used for nuclear tests in French Polynesia, decommissioned in 1973, stricken on 25 January 1974 and the same year broken up. The building of her sister ships Chateaurenault and Guichen was cancelled.

Original technical specifications according to the 1930 design/ Displacement 8.000 9standard)-11.431 (full load) tons and as dimensions 180,4 (waterline) x 18,6 x 5,5 metres. The machinery was to consist of steam turbines and 4 boilers delivering via 2 shafts 110.000 hp allowing a speed of 35 knots. The crew was to number 691 men. The armour consisted of a 10cm thick belt, 3,8cm thick deck with the gun turrets and conning tower protected by respectively 10cm and 9,5cm. The armament consisted of 3x3-15,2cm guns, 3x2-10cm guns, 8-3,7cm gun, 8-13,2mm machineguns, 6-55cm torpedo tubes and 2 seaplanes for which she was fitted out with 2 catapults.

Technical specifications after her completion as anti aircraft-cruiser.
Displacement 9.389 (standard)-12.350 I(full load) tons and as dimensions 199,3 x 18,6 (waterline)-21,5 x 5,54 metres or 653.10 x 61.0-70.6 x 18.2 feet. The machinery consisted of 2 x52.500hp Rateau turbine sets and 4 boilers allowing a speed o 33m8 knots. The crew numbered 560 (after 1966)750 men. The armour consisted of a 10cm/3.9” thick belt, a 3,8cm/1.5” thick deck, 2cm/0.70” thick torpedo bulkheads and 2cm/0.70”-6cm/2.36” thick bulkheads. The armament consisted of 8x-12,7cm anti aircraft guns and in advance, 10x2-57cm Bofors guns. 

French armoured cruiser Kléber 1898-1917


Part of the Dupleix-class armoured cruisers consisting of the Dupliex, Kléber and Desaix, preceded by the Gueydon-class and succeeded by the Gloire-classs. Ordered on 28 December 1897. Laid down by Forges&Chantiers de la Gironde, Bordeaux, France in April 1898, launched on 20 September 1902, commissioned in 1904 and sunk after striking a mine laid by the German submarine UC 61 off Brest on 27 June 1917.

Displacement 7.700 tons and as dimensions 130 x 17,87 x 7,4 metres or 426.6 x 58.5 x 24.3” feet. Machinery consisted of 3 triple expansion steam engines and 24 Belleville boilers supplying via 3 shafts 17.800 ihp allowing a speed of 20 knots. With a coal bunker capacity of 1.180 tons and a speed of 10 knots was the range 7.600 nautical miles, Crew numbered 531 men. The armament consisted of 4x2-16,4cm/6.5” quick firing guns, 4x1-10cm/3.9” guns, 10x1-4,7cm/1.9” guns and 2-45cm/17.7” surfaced torpedo tubes. Armour consisted of a 4cm/1.6”-10cm/3.9” thick deck, a 5cm/2.0”-7cm/2.8” thick deck, 9cm/3.5” thick bulkheads with the gun turrets, barbettes and conning tower protected by restively 12cm/4.7”-16cm/6.3”, 4cm/1,6”-12cm/4.7” and 8cm/3.1” thick armour. 

Venetian galley Espiritu Santo in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Marco Cimera.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Ninfa in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Daniel Tron.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Cristo Resucitado in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Sebastian Priuli.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Cristo in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Juan baptista Quirini.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Galera in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Vicencio Benedetto.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Sunday, 15 October 2017

USA for the time being not building new battleships according to the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Handelsblad dated 12 July 1934

An item referred to a statement of the American secretary for navy that the USA intended not to lay down a battleship before the Naval Conference of 1935/ At that moment were just cruisers and smaller ships under construction. 

British battleship HMS Nelson finally underway towards the Antilles according to the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Handelsblad dated Saturday 20 January 1934


An item dated London, England 19th reported that the British battleship Nelson on the Friday before finally left Portsmouth, England towards the Antilles while it was since last Sunday due to the worse weather conditions not possible to leave the harbour.(1)

Note
1. Sister ship Rodney. Pennant 28. A simplified design of the N-3 battleships which was cancelled by the British Royal navy as a result of the Washing Naval Treaty of 1922. She was to able to compete with the USS Colorado and the Japanese Nagato battleship classes. Her building was ordered in 1922, laid down on 28 December at Armstrong-Whitworth, Newcastle launched on 3 September 1925, commissioned on 15 August 1927, 1941-1942 extensively repairs needed as a result of an Italian torpedo, decommissioned in February 1948 and on 15 March a year begun her breaking up. 

German pocket battleship Admiral Scheer replaced aged battleship Hessen according to the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf dated 13 November 1934

Sister ship Admiral Graf Spee of the Deutschland-class

Braunschweig-class
Hessen after conversion into target

An item dated Wilhelmshafen, Germany 12th reported that on the navy yard the German armoured ship Admiral Scheer was commissioned and at the same time the old battleship Hessen decommissioned.

Notes
1. Later classified as heavy cruiser. Laid down by Kriegsmarinewerft Wilhelmshaven, Germany on 25 June 1931, launched on 1 April 1933, commissioned on 12 November 1934 and sunk by British air attack on 9 April 1945.
2. Laid down with the contract name “L” at the Germaniawerft, Kiel with yard number 100 in April 1902, launched by princess Irene von Hessen-Darmstadt on 18 September 1903, commissioned on 19 September 1905,  target in the Baltic Sea in December 1916, decommissioned on 18 January 1917, disarmed and converted into an accommodation for submarine crews at Brunsbüttel, Germany nicknamed SMS Kleinste Fahrt, modernized in 1924, decommissioned on 5 January 1925, replaced by the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer decommissioned on 12 November 1934, converted into a radio-controlled target decommissioned on 1 April 1937, used as target and as icebreaker in the Baltic and North Sea between 1939-1945, ceded to Russia at Libau, Latvia in January 1946, renamed Tsel and finally broken up in 1960. Of the Braunschweig-class consisting of the Braunschweig, Elsass, Hessen, Lotharingen and Preussen. Preceded by the Wittelsbach-class and succeeded by the Deutschland-class. 

British battleship HMS Nelson temporarily grounded according to the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Handelbslad dated 12 January 1934


An item reported that the same morning the British battleship Nelson was stranded when leaving the harbour of Portsmouth, England. It was feared that she could be refloated before midnight.(1)

Note
1. Sister ship Rodney. Pennant 28. A simplified design of the N-3 battleships which was cancelled by the British Royal navy as a result of the Washing Naval Treaty of 1922. She was to able to compete with the USS Colorado and the Japanese Nagato battleship classes. Her building was ordered in 1922, laid down on 28 December at Armstrong-Whitworth, Newcastle launched on 3 September 1925, commissioned on 15 August 1927, 1941-1942 extensively repairs needed as a result of an Italian torpedo, decommissioned in February 1948 and on 15 March a year begun her breaking up. 

Torpedo boat by Messrs. John I. Thornycroft&Co. launched for British Royal Navy according to the British magazine The Engineering dated 5 July 1901

An item reported that Messrs. John I. Thornycroft&Co. Limited launched on Tuesday 2nd the third of the four torpedo boats built for account of the British Royal Navy. Dimensions were 160 x 17 feet and measuring 42 tons. Speed was 25 knots. The armament consisted of 2-45,72cm/18” torpedo tubes and 3-3pd quick firing guns. 

German 3-mast bark (ex-Elisabeth Bandi 1919-1931, Bandi 1931-1938, Seute Deern 1938-1954, Pieter Albrecht Koerts 1954-1964) Seute Deern 1964-


Bremerhaven, Germany 3 March 2017

Launched by Gulfport Shipbuilding Co., Gulfport, USA in 1919 as the 4 mast gaff schooner Elisabeth Bandi for account of the Marine Coal Company, New Orleand, USA, since 1925 of Water E. Reid, 1931 William Uskanen, 1935 Yrjänen&Kumpp/Laiva Bandi, 1938 John T. Essberger, 1954 Stichting Pieter Albrecht Koerts (Delfzijl, Netherlands), 1964 Ena Hardisty, 1965 Hans Richartsz and since 1972 of the Deutsches Schiffahrtsmuseum Bremerhaven. Marsh pine-built but not coppered. Sold in 1931 to William Uskanen, Sotkoma, Finland in 1931, renamed Bandi used in timber trade between Finland, Denmark en England. Sold on 7 November 1938 to John T. Essberger, Hamburg, Germany and converted by Blohm&Voss into a 3-mast bark steel rigged between 16 December 1938-15 June 1939 and renamed Seute Deern. Dimensions 75,7 (over all) x 11,3 x 4 (maximum) metres and a gross register tonnage of 813,57 tons. 

Venetian galley Cristo Resucitado in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Ludovico Cicuta.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Venetian galley Santa Catalina in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Francisco Bono.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Papal galley Victoria in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Bachip Guirie de Pisa?

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Neapolitan galley Gitana in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Gabriel de Medina.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Neapolitan galley Guzmana in 1572

Part of the Holy League fleet commanded by Don Juan de Austria gathered off Gumenizas on 9 September 1572. Part of the linker wing commanded by Soranzo. Commanding officer Francisco de Ojeda.

Source
Armada española desde la union de los reinos de castilla y aragon. C. Fernandez Duro, volume 2, 1896, 176-180. 

Saturday, 14 October 2017

American aircraft carrier USS Intrepid 1941-




New York, USA 29 September 2017

Laid down as part of the Essex-class aircraft carriers by Newport New Shipbuilding, Virginia, USA on 1 December 1941, launched on 26 April 1943, commissioned on 16 August 1943, reclassified as attack carrier (VCA-11) on 1 October 1952, reclassified as anti submarine warfare carrier (CVS-11) on 8 December 1962, decommissioned on 15 March 1974, stricken on 23 February 1982 and nowadays museum ship [Intrepid Sea, Air&Space Museum] at New York, USA. Nicknames Fighting I and Dry I.

Original technical specifications.
Displacement 27.100 (standard)-36.380 (full load) tons and as dimension 250 (waterline)-266 (overall) x 28 (waterline)-45 (over all) x 8,66 (light)-10,41 (full load) metres or 820-872 x 93-147.6 x 28.5-34.2 feet. Had 3 decks. The designed machinery consisted of 4 Westinghouse geared steam turbines and 8 boilers supplying via the 4 shafts 150.000shop allowing a speed of 33 knots. With a peed of 15 knots was her range 20.000 nautical miles. Crew numbered 2.600 persons. Carried with her 90-100 aircraft for which 1 deck-edge elevator and 2 centerline elevators were available. The armour consisted of a 6cm/2.5”-10cm/4” thick belt, 10cm/4” thick bulkheads while the pilothouse and top steering gear were protected by respectively 4cm/1.5” and 6cm/2.5”. The armament consisted of 4x2&4x1-12,7cm/5” 38 cal guns, 8x4-4cm 56 cal guns, and 46x102cm 78 cal guns.